We are making the most out of the last few chilly nights of Spring by making big pots of comfort food. This creamy, comforting Coconut and Vegetable Dal is not only comforting, it is easy to make too. It is warming, flavourful, and filling, with beautiful Indian spices to make a very happy belly indeed. Add Sunflower Seed Sprinkles from the Pimp My Salad range to add another delicious level of flavour to this dal. Simple, delicious, nutritious and of course, always vegan!
Comforting Coconut and Vegetable Dal with Pimp My Salad Sunflower Seed Sprinkles
Prep: 15 minutes
Time: 45 minutes - 1 hour
Yield: 2-4 servings
- 2 cups of yellow split peas, rinsed and soaked for 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- ½ tin coconut cream
- 4 cups water
- One brown onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- One hot chilli, sliced (optional)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Fresh coriander, for garnish
- Lemon, for garnish
- 2 tbsp Pimp My Salad Sunflower Seed Sprinkles, for garnish
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil to a medium temperature in a large pan and place mustard seeds in. Make sure they are evenly coated with oil and place a lid on for 2-3 minutes until they have all popped. You’ll know when they’re finished when the popping slows down.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add curry powder, turmeric powder, diced tomato, garlic, and chillies (if using) and sauté for 5 minutes or until it has turned into a paste. Add water by the tablespoon if it becomes too dry.
- Add split peas, coconut cream, and water. Bring it to a boil then reduce to a simmer with the lid on for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the split peas have cooked through. Stir occasionally and make sure it doesn’t burn and add more water if needed.
- When your dal has cooked, add diced carrot and zucchini. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes until vegetables have cooked completely. Add salt to taste.
- Serve hot with steamed rice, fresh coriander, a squeeze of lemon and Pimp My Salad Sunflower Seed Sprinkles.