Amazing Vegan Laksa
This is amazing recipe we found at http://talesofakitchen.com and it is just the best laksa I have ever tried!
Ingredients for the LAKSA PASTE (you can make more of this paste and just freeze some to use it lately).
- 5 chilies of your choice (as hot as you want them), stemmed and seeded if you want
- 4 red shallots (small onions), peeled and quartered
- 2 TBSP roughly chopped ginger
- 3 big garlic cloves
- 3 coriander roots, cleaned really well
- 2 large lemongrass stalks (white part only), trimmed and chopped
- handful of cashews (or macadamia if allergic to cashews)
- 1 TBSP coriander seeds (whole)
- 1 TBSP cumin seeds (whole)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 TBSP turmeric (fresh or powder)
- 4 TBSP tomato paste (totally not traditional, but I love it in this recipe)
Ingredients for the LAKSA
- Laksa paste
- 4 TBSP coconut oil
- 1.5 L veggie stock
- 1 TBSP raw sugar
- 400 ml coconut milk (1 tin)
- 5 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 TBSP soy sauce or tamari
- Bean sprouts
- For 1 serving, a handful each: rice laksa noodles, zucchini noodles, carrot noodles
- coriander leaves
- lime wedges
- toasted sesame seeds
- Add coriander and cumin seeds in a small pan on low heat and slightly toast them for 1-2 minutes, careful not to burn them.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, add them to a mortar and pestle and grind them finely.
- Add all ingredients for the laksa paste to a blender and process until you get a fine paste. Should take around a minute. Scoop into a bowl.
- Heat your pot and add the laksa paste with the coconut oil. Stir through and cook for 2-3 minutes until hot and fragrant.
- Add the veggie stock, sugar, coconut milk, lime leaves and soy sauce, give it a good stir, cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes, covered.
- Meanwhile, bring another pot of water to a boil and cook your rice noodles per package instructions. When ready, drain and rinse with cold water. Place in the serving bowl.
- Make your zucchini and carrot noodles and place in the serving bowl too.
- Top with bean sprouts and when laksa is ready, pour 3-4 ladles on top of the noodles in the serving dish.
- Top with coriander and sesame, squeeze fresh lime and enjoy hot.